Well, hello bargaineers! Thank you so much for dropping by. Today, we have the first in a series which we hope will become a popular feature around these here blog parts. And that is: our first showdown of price comparisons at Dollarama versus Amazon. Which one will win? You’ll just have to keep reading to find out.
Dollarama is a very popular Canadian dollar store chain that features products that are $4.00 and under. (We won’t even get started on how customers felt when their price point went up to that $4 point. No sir, we won’t even go there!)
Today’s trip was in a Calgary Dollarama location (the Midnapore location to be exact – which is especially helpful if you want to know where to find these goodies!), and here is what I found… Let the price showdown begin!
- Betty Crocker heavy duty burner liners – $1.50 for 6 – These handy liners do exactly what they claim – line the burners of your electric stove to make that icky job of cleaning around the burners a much easier job. On Amazon, a pack of 6 is $9.77. Now, I’m not saying the quality may be exactly the same, but the price WIN goes to Dollarama!
- Sunlight + Oxi Action dishwasher power pacs – $4.00 for pack of 20 (or $0.20 per dishwashing pac.) These handy little pacs make it a breeze to get your dishes sparkly clean right in the dishwasher. But, does Amazon have a better deal? On Amazon a pack of 95 is $14.47 – or only $0.15/pac. This time – win to Amazon!
- Purina DentaLife Chews dog treats – pack of 10 for $4.00 (or $0.40 each) – These dog treats by Purina help to reduce tartar buildup on your dogs’ teeth – a healthful snack, indeed. (Even if we ARE a little partial to cats…(link)) The specially shaped treat helps to really clean all surfaces. But, what about the price difference between Dollarama and Amazon? A quick search on Amazon revealed that – ta dah! – the price is IDENTICAL. Well, to be exact you’ll save a single (extinct) penny on a bag at Amazon. It’s a tie!
- Bodycology pure white gardenia OR Vanilla lotion – $3.00 for 12 oz. bottle – Umm, this one is sort of crazy! Maybe this lotion is no longer in production, and therefore in high demand? The same lotion is selling for as much as $50 on Amazon! Woohoo – maybe go get some and resell it! You’re welcome. BIG WIN to Dollarama!!
- Royal Chinet 16 square dinner plates $3.50 for 16 (about $0.22 each) – Sometimes you just need a paper plate – such as when the whole family and all your dozens of cousins (that rhymes!) come over for a BBQ. These little babies are made in Canada, are recyclable, biodegradable AND compostable. Check, check, check – we like an environmentally friendly paper plate. Okay, then, Amazon – what can you offer? In a large pack of 150 round plates for $26.15 – you’ll pay $0.17 each. So, a win for Amazon!
So, according to my limited mathematical skills – I think we ended up with a TIE! Wow, I didn’t see that one coming. Now, there are a few things to keep in mind. With Dollarama, you can just pop down to the store and pick up the products you need and well, Bob’s your uncle. Whereas on Amazon, you have to wait a while to receive your purchase – but, with Prime 2-day shipping, it is pretty ridiculously quick. And you don’t have to leave home to order, either! Yay for PJ pant shopping time.
You’ll likely have also noticed that you have to buy larger quantities at Amazon. That case is particularly true with our example of the paper plates – a purchase of 16 plates versus 150! So, if you use a lot of paper plates, saving on each one is a great deal. But, if you just DON’T NEED over 100 plates, then a jolly quick jaunt down to Dollarama will likely do you just fine. Oh, how I love taking a jolly quick jaunt there – okay, terrible English accent off. AND REMEMBER: prices at Amazon can change at a moment’s notice. So, prices quoted at Amazon were the prices current at the time of writing.
Okay, bargaineers – what has been YOUR greatest find at Dollarama lately? Which do you prefer – online shopping or local shopping? Please leave a comment so we can all benefit! I do hope this little experiment has helped you to stretch your shopping dollar just a bit further. Watch out for our next price showdown – coming soon!