I don’t know about the rest of you bargaineers, but the way we have grocery shopped has changed in a very big way. Now, rather than visiting a few different stores a week, we really tend to shop at only one store – and right now, that store is Save On Foods here in Calgary, Alberta.
Why Shop at Save On Foods during the Covid-19 pandemic?
We’ve tried a few other supermarkets during the pandemic, and we keep coming back to our local Save On. Why? We find it’s the slowest – as in, the fewest people in the store when we go to shop. (It does help that we go first thing in the morning – at 8 AM. Save On Foods does have shopping hours for seniors starting at 7, but we’re not that age yet, so we are sure to be ready to shop when it’s our opening time of 8:00.) And, the less busy the store is – the safer we feel!
The Save On we go to is relatively small, so the husband and I split the store between us and each have a shopping list accoring to what areas we’ll each visit. Then, our shopping trips are super quick and efficient and we get everything we need for the week in only about 15 minutes or so!
Maybe a lot of you are using delivery grocery services right now, or pick up grocery services like PC Express at Superstore. How have your experiences been using these? We weren’t too pleased with our PC Express experience, which was really too bad as we’d love to order online and just pick up. But, for now – Save On is working well for us!
Please note that these deals last until May 13. On May 14, there will be a lovely new Save on flyer! (And this flyer is for Western Canada. And, due to the ongoing pandemic, Save-on Foods is limiting quantities on certain products, especially high-demand products. Just a heads-up for you guys.)
Save On Foods – Deals on Groceries this Week
- 6 inch strawberry cake $9.99 (Freshly made in the bakery)
- Aji guacamole mix – 2 for $4.00 (70 ml size bags)
- Atlantic salmon fillets or Steelhead $2.00/100 grams
- Avocadoes, fresh – 3 for $5.00
- Blackberries – 170 gram packs – $2.99 each AND 300 bonus points when you buy 2
- Blueberries, fresh – 170 gram packs – $2.99 each AND 300 Bonus points when you buy 2
- Boneless, skinless fresh chicken breasts – FAMILY PACKS – $5.99/lb
- Chicken breast, marinated, boneless and skinless $4.99 each (Selected varieties available) At the meat department counter.
- Chicken drumsticks by Western Family brand – Fully cooked and frozen – 700 or 900 gram boxes – $7.99 each
- Chicken thighs, fresh $1.89/lb or $4.17/kg
- Chicken wings, marinated $0.50 each (At the meat department counter)
- Cod, potato crusted fillets $2.99 per 100 grams (At the meat and fish department)
- Country Harvest bread – 570 g or 600 g – $2.49 each
- Deli side dishes and specialty salads – Yummy looking salads including a new one called Chickberry Salad. Made in store. $1.99/100 grams
- Ferrero Rocher chocolate boxes – Selected varieties – 156 or 200 gram packages $6.99 each
- Grimm’s sausage rings – Assorted varieties – 375 grams – $5.49 each
- High Liner hand cut breaded cod fillets – 515 or 540 gram boxes – $9.99 each
- Kraft BBQ Sauce 455 ml – Only $1.00 each! (If you love to barbecue, that is a great stock up price!)
- Lindt chocolate bars or bags of Lindt Lindor truffles (YUM!!) $6.99 each
- Lindt Excellence chocolate bars, assorted varieties 100 gram size 2 for $6.00
- Mandarins, mini Halos – 3 lb bag from the US – $5.99 each (or only $4.99 for the first one, when you download the My Offers app)
- Merci boxed chocolates – 200 gram boxes – $4.99 each
- Old Dutch potato chips – 255 or 220 gram bags – 3 for $8.00
- Olivieri filled rainbow tortellini pasta, fresh – 300 or 350 gram packs – 3 for $10
- Organic carrots – 2 lb bags – $2.49 each
- Organic lemons – 2 lb bags – $4.99 each
- Organic spring mix salad by Earthbound Farm – 284 grams – $4.99 each
- Pepsi soft drinks – 12 cans 2 for $9.00
- Pork Back Ribs, frozen $2.99/lb or $6.59/kg
- Pork Schnitzel, fresh in the meat department $5.99/lb
- Pork shoulder blade steaks (bone in) fresh $3.99/lb
- Prawn skewers, marinated – Mango chili or Garlic butter and herbs $2.00 each
- Raspberries, fresh – 170 gram packs – $2.99 each
- Schneider’s Lunch Mate Stackers – Selected varieties – 90 gram size – 5 for $10.00
- Smoked Sockeye Salmon Nuggets (Western Family) – 150 gram packs – $10.99 each
- Strawberries, fresh – 16 oz clampacks – $2.99 each
- Tomatoes on the Vine $2.49/lb
- Western Family wild Argentine prawns – 16 to 30 in each bag – Frozen – 340 grams – $10.99 each
- Western Family bacon 375 g $3.99 each
- Western Family Beef Burgers, frozen, 1.7 kg – $15.99 each and get 800 BONUS points per box!
- Western Family original or All Beef hot dogs – 375 grams – $3.99 each AND Earn 400 bonus points when you buy 2
- Western Family signature ice cream – 1.65 liters $3.99 each OR FREE with 2000 More Rewards points
- Western Family smokies – Original or Cheese – 450 grams $3.99 each
- Western Family sparkling water – 12 can box – $3.49 (Oddly enough, it was the grapefruit variety of this delish sparkling water that inspired this post about pink and yellow products!)
More Rewards Points Redeemable for Gift Cards
Just a cool side note here – in their flyer, Save On says that you can redeem your MORE Rewards points for any of the dozens of different gift cards they carry! This includes Apple gift cards, Starbucks gift cards, and Amazon gift cards, too. An Amazon gift card right now would be an AWESOME gift for someone!
Save On Foods Fresh Bakery Sale Items this week – bread and more!
- Fresh baked gourmet muffins – made in the bakery in store – Assorted varieties $4.99 for a 6 pack. (All kinds of favourite flavours – like lemon poppyseed, blueberry muffins and chocolate chip muffins. Yummers!)
- Silver Hills bread – Assorted varieties, such as Sprouted Power bread – 600 or 615 gram loaves $3.99 each OR only $3.49 each for the first 1 if you download My Offers
- Western Family bagels – $3.29 for a 6 pack of bagels
- Western Family English muffins – $2.99 for a 6 pack and get 300 bonus points when you buy 2 packs!
- White bread loaves or 100% whole wheat bread – baked fresh in store – Sale price $1.69 each (Great price on fresh bread, bargaineers.)
Save on Foods Deli Specials and Sales this Week
- Boursin cheese, 150 grams Sale price $5.99 or $4.49 for the first one if you download My Offers app
- Cathedral City extra mature cheddar cheese (Imported from the UK. Man, does this cheese ever sound delicious!) 200 grams for $7.99
- Cathedral City mini cheddar cheese snacks – 120 gram bag of individually wrapped old cheddar cheese snacks $6.99 each
- Genoa salami – Regular or hot – $3.99/100 grams
- Grimm’s pepperoni – Honey garlic or original 600 gram packs $9.99 each AND if you buy 2 packs you get 1000 Bonus points
- Rosemary ham or Tuscany ham $2.69/100 grams
- Sushi rolls – made in store – 2 for $10.00 (Great idea for a quick and healthy supper)
- Swiss gruyere cheese from Switzerland $5.49/100 grams