Do you love food? I know I do! We need food to live but the variety we have makes it a delight. As a result, food costs end up being one of the largest household expenses for families. So, how do you save money on food? The key lies with the type of expense food is.
Saving Money on Food, a Variable Cost
Most of our expenses are fixed and there is little we can do to change them. Expenses like mortgages, rent, car payment, insurance are examples of such. The only variable expense is food. So, to save money, we must focus on cutting food costs. How? Here are 3 easy steps.
Track Your Food Costs
This means you track the amount you spend on food including groceries and eating out. You can track either weekly or monthly but have enough of a sample size to give you a good idea of your spending habits. Once you have done that, find your average food spending costs.
Reduce and Save
Once you have your average food costs, take 10 percent of that amount and immediately put into savings. You will do this every time you need to spend on food(either weekly or monthly). The other 90 is what you will spend on food. So, is that it? Not quite!
Use Cash, Save More Money
The next thing you need to do is take that food budget as cash. Why? Because once your cash is gone, there is nothing else to spend. If you use a debit or credit card, there is always the temptation to spend beyond your budget. Cash takes this away. Also, you will be more mindful of what you spend on and might have cash leftover. If you do, put that into savings too!
It seems pretty easy and it is! Most times the simple solution is the best solution. So try it out, you might be surprised on how much you save! Saving money is important; eating food is very important. But you can have the best of both worlds. So eat, drink and save!
Checkout 51 (If you haven’t already signed up for this money saving app, click here click here to join!) is an incredible Canadian app that helps shoppers find the most valuable coupons. But, instead of the hassle of buying a newspaper and clipping coupons, you have all your best coupons with you stored right in the app! I love the convenience of Checkout51, and check it for deals every week.
This is a reliable company that issues you money back into your account when you verify that you have purchased a certain product. Verifying your purchase is as simple as using your phone to take a photo of your receipt.
The new deals are updated every week on Thursday, so yesterday was the day! Here are the best deals on Checkout51 this week. (My top tip for money savers in Canada using this app is…use it in conjunction with the Flipp flyer app to find out which items are also on sale! Then, use your money saving virtual coupon on top of a sale, and save mucho dollars!)
Food and Groceries
- Armstrong cheese products – $0.75 off either cheese slices or sticks. These are SO handy for lunchboxes – the slices to tuck into a sandwich, or the sticks as a snack!
- Little Potato Company – has a wide range of varieties of flavoured mini potatoes that you just microwave. Voila, instant side dish! $0.75 cash back this week.
- Enjoy Life Foods – this is a company well known to anyone who has to eat gluten free. (As I have for nearly 12 years now.) They make a delicious range of gluten free treats and cookies. $1.00 cash back on selected varieties of cookies, bars, and energy bites.
- SMARTFOOD popcorn – has some glorious new Indulgence popcorns that sound to die for! Either Dark Chocolate and Raspberry or Milk Chocolate & Caramel. Both $1.50 cash back. (GREAT DEAL!!)
- Glutino – their gluten free cookies and crackers are all on offer this week. $1.00 cash back on selected varieties. (I particularly like their gluten free version of Oreos. So good crushed over ice cream!!)
- FRANK’s Red Hot Sauce – is a favourite around here! $1.00 off selected types.
- STAGG chili is an easy lunchtime or supper choice. $0.75 cash back. Use this chili to top a sweet potato, and then add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onions or chives. Delicious dinner done in only minutes! (Hint: they have 6 varieties of their chili on Cash Back offer this week – so stock up on a few different kinds!)
Home and Cleaning
- Finish dishwasher detergent tabs – at Walmart only – $2.00 Cash Back
- Finish Jet-dry rinse aid – at Walmart only – $1.00 Cash back
- Spongetowels Ultra paper towels – $1.00 Cash Back
- Pledge polish and other products – $1.00 Cash back
- Scrubbing Bubbles products – great for cleaning the toilet with a LOT less work – $1.00 Cash back
- Head and Shoulders products – at Rexall only – $2.00 Cash back
- Buy 2 Herbal Essences bio:renew products – at Rexall only – $5.00 Cash back (HIGH VALUE alert!)
- Pantene products – at Rexall only – $2.00 cash back
- Selected CREST products – ranging from toothpaste to Whitestrips – from $2.00 to $5.00 Cash back
- Selected ORAL-B floss products – $1.00 Cash back
- Listerine Go! Tabs – $1.00 Cash back (I watched the commercial about these with interest, but haven’t tried these yet. If anyone has, please leave a comment!)
Medicine and Health
- Renew Life probiotic products – $4.00 Cash back (please check app to see exactly which types are included in the offer)
- COMBO deal – Vicks Dayquil and Nyquil products – $4.00 cash back when you buy both. (These deals are awesome if you have coupons for the individual products, too!)
- Fisherman’s Friend lozenges – buy 2, get $0.50 cash back
- Imodium – $2.00 Cash Back
- RestoraLAX – $3.00 Cash back
Lots of good deals on Melitta coffee this week! Give me a good deal on coffee, and I’ll arrive holding my favourite mug. 😊
- Melitta 100% Compostable (yay!) coffee pods – $2.50 Cash back
- Melitta pour-over brewer (at select retailers) $2.00 Cash back
- Melitta roasted and ground coffee $2.00 Cash back
- Melitta whole bean coffee $2.00 Cash back
- Caotina Swiss chocolate drink powder – $1.00 cash back (A friend brought me a pack of these back when I was fighting off the flu. It makes a lovely, comforting hot cocoa drink.)
- Frontera bowls – $0.50 cash back
- Healthy Choice power bowls – $0.50 cash back (and I’m quite sure there are still coupons available for these. Double savings!)
- Breyers Delights ice cream – $1.50 cash back
Babies and Kids
Lots of diapers on offer this week – match theses up with any coupons you have for mega savings! And I know you Moms out there are always on the lookout for diaper deals.
- Renew Life Flora kids and baby probiotics – $3.00 Cash back
- Selected HUGGIES wipes $2.00 cash back (on larger size packages)
- Kandoo flushable baby wipes – at Walmart only – $1.00 cash back
- Select HUGGIES diapers $4.00 cash back (HIGH VALUE)
- HUGGIES little swimmers waterproof diapers – $2.00 cash back
- Pull-ups training pants $3.50 cash back
- Beyond Natural dry cat food $4.00 cash back
- Beyond Natural wet cat food – buy 2 and get $1.50 cash back
- Beyond Natural dry dog food – $4.00 cash back
- Beyond Natural wet dog food – $3.00 cash back on 2
- Meow Mix dry cat food – $2.50 cash back
- Meow Mix wet cat food singles $0.25 cash back (limit of 5 claims)
- Nature’s Recipe Grain free pet foods $4.00 cash back
Plus, there are even more cash back offers on the app! Please visit again for next week’s choices, and please leave a comment about your best deal using Checkout51 with sales and/or coupons. I love hearing about your savings!
Once your account hits $20 in accumulated savings, Checkout51 sends you a cheque in the mail. I have received these cheques, and therefore feel excited to tell you about Checkout 51 if you haven’t already heard of them. Click here to join as a new member. (click here) Hope you save some money on your groceries this week!
NO FRILLS BARGAINS – $2 Dollar Days – Bargain of the Day
So, maybe it’s just me, but I’m still relatively new to the beautiful bargains and deals to be found at the local NO FRILLS. This week they’re running their $2 specials, and you’ll find some of the best bargains listed below. Get your grocery list groove on and stock up on some favourites!
1. Mega bargain alert!!! Fresh strawberries only $2 when you buy 2-1 lb packages! (They say this is the lowest price of the year! $1/lb berries – whoop whoop!)
2. Habitant or Campbell’s specialty (non condensed) soups – 2 for $2!
3. Royal gala apples 2 lbs for $2
4. Larabars (my favourite healthy go-to snack) are 2/$2
5. Regular size no name cream cheese $2
These are my favourite finds on this week’s No Frills flyer. Did you find a mega bargain I missed? Or do you have any coupon matchups that we bargainers MUST know about? Or…would you like to suggest a bargain of the day? Please comment with any of this helpful info and thanks ahead of time! Together we WILL save money!