Is it only my Dad who would laugh aloud while reading this? If you have fans of the Far Side in your family, then this seems like a no-brainer gift for them! The entire collections comes in two hardbacked editions, tucked away in a really cool storage box. Now, if only I could find a Calvin & Hobbes collection, too…
These highly ranked silicone bags are more than just an incredible storage option – you can cook in these bags! If you use a sous vide, these are a great alternative to one-use only plastic baggies. Freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe.
Wow, this is one of those bargains that just can’t be missed! If you’ve been waiting for a spectacular sale to invest in a KitchenAid stand mixer, then this might be exactly the right time for you to go for it.
This value package includes the 4.5 quart stand mixer, an extra 3.5 quart bowl (super handy to have for when you’re doing a lot of baking!), and a flex edge flat beater.
Hello fellow bargaineers! Today is the first in what we hope will be an ongoing series of finding you the very best offers to maximize the PC Optimum points you collect.
What’s the value of PC Optimum points?
Collecting PC Optimum points are very valuable, because the more points you earn, the more free stuff you can get! Every 1000 points equals $1 worth of free merchandise for you at either Shopper’s Drug Mart or Real Canadian Superstore. There is a minimum point requirement of 10,000 points before you can redeem – so once you hit 10,000 points, you get $10 of free food or goodies!
The two major places to collect PC Optimum points are at either Superstore or Shopper’s. So, that’s where we’re going to focus our efforts, too. Now, let’s go find some points, bargaineers!
The Best PC Optimum offers at Superstore This Week
Get your shopping gear on, your loonie ready to pop into a shopping cart, and off we go! This week you can add MEGA points to your PC Optimum account! Here are the best deals at Real Canadian Superstore this week (August 16 to August 22, 2019):
- 5000 points on every $15 spent on Nestle Favourites snack size treats, assorted count sizes (Hmmm…chocolate!)
- 200 points on a 12 pack of Pepsi soft drinks
- 500 points on U by Kotex pads, liners or tampons (sale price $6.98; limit of 4)
- 3000 points on a Club Size (72 pack) of Sunrype fruit to go (sale price $18.98; limit of 4)
- 2000 points on an 8-pack of Aylmer 796 ml cans of tomatoes (sale price $8.88; limit of 4)
- 2000 points on an 8-pack of Chef Boyardee mini ravioli OR Heinz baked beans or pasta (sale price $8.68)
- 1000 points on an 18 pack of Original Wagon Wheels (sale price $3.98; limit of 4) *I miss these so much since going gluten free! Craving some gluten free snacks that will satisfy? Head over to my 25 Best Gluten Free Snacks on Amazon.ca.
- 2000 points on Mott’s Fruitsations variety pack (24 x 111 grams or 12 x 104 ml) $9.48 each
- 1000 points on Always pads (36-62 size) or liners (116 or 136 pack size) $10.78
- 500 points on Litehouse dressings, 591 ml (sale price $4.98; limit of 4)
- 5000 points on every $20 spent on stationery. (This is a great deal for all of you shopping for Back to School! $5 back in PC Optimum points for every $20 spent.)
- 3000 points when you buy 2 Joe Fresh children’s mix and match clothing styles (either for baby, toddler, or kids sizes)
- 1000 points on One a Day or Flintstones multivitamins or gummies (50-90 size bottles) (Sale price $8.98; limit of 4)
- 1000 points on Dr. Scholl’s insoles, selected varieties (Sale price $16.98; limit of 2)
- 12000 points on every $40 spent on participating Claritin, Aerius or Restoralax products
This Week’s Best PC Optimum Offers at Shoppers
Valid August 17 to 23, 2019.
- 8000 points on 2 Vichy Mineral 89 or Liftactiv Skin care products
- 8000 points on 2 Avene sun care products
- 10000 points on Beats Studio3 Wireless headphones
- 10000 points on a Spotify gift card (minimum value $60)
- 2000 points on HUGGIES Super boxed diapers or training pants
- 3000 points on 2 Dove Hair care products (selected types and sizes; excludes large sizes)
- 8000 points on 2 Olay Total Effects or Olay Whip Facial moisturizers (selected types and sizes)
- 3000 points when you spend $20 on Life Brand hair, sun, acne or skin care products
- 5000 points when you buy 2 Natural Instincts, Nice ‘n Easy or Root Touch-up hair colour kits
- 3000 points when you buy 2 Quo full or individual lashes fake eyelashes, selected types
- 5000 points when you spend $25 on Quo sleep accessory sets, sponges, or cosmetic bags
- 2000 points when you buy 2 Joe Fresh socks (1-4 pair packs) or Secret Collection tights
Whew! You could have a very impressive points haul this week if you can take advantage of some of these deals. Superstore especially had some amazing bargains on back to school promotions. Hope you can grab a bunch of points, bargaineers! And please post a comment if you got an especially good deal you’d like to brag about.
Shopping for our daily groceries is just one of those tasks that you can’t avoid. Want to feed the family? Then you just have to go to a local farmers’ market, grocery store, or supermarket. After years of using flimsy (and often non-recyclable) plastic produce bags to stock up on onions, potatoes, apples and more – many of us are discovering that there are much better options.
Today, we want to share with you some of our picks for the best reusable produce bags. With care, these bags should last you years – and you won’t add even a smidge of waste to your local landfill! Making these small choices over time really add up to huge results. Okay, onward to our favourite shopping bags!
Cotton Mesh Shopping BagsThis 10 pack of Reusable Cotton Produce/Veggie Bags is a great starter pack for the home shopper! Say goodbye forever to plastic bags with this set of 10 produce bags. The tare weight is included on a tag, so you won’t pay extra for the weight of the bag at the grocery till. Set includes 3 small, 4 medium, and 3 large mesh shopping bags. To wash these cotton mesh bags: simply hand or machine wash in cold water, then lay out flat to air dry. Easy! Simple Ecology Organic Cotton Mesh Produce Bags are a wonderful set of 6 bags. These natural, organic cotton bags are very breathable – much better for your fresh fruit and vegetables than plastic bags. This set of 6 comes with 2 each of the small, medium and large sizes. Simple Ecology is a wonderful, ethical company with high standards.
Farmer’s Market Shopping Set – Jute bag plus Cotton produce bagsThis Set of 6 Simple Ecology Reusable Shopping Bag Gift Set would make a perfect gift for an environmentally conscious friend! This starter set is perfect for heading out to the local farmer’s market – it comes with a well constructed jute shopping bag, a beachy mesh shopping bag, plus 4 produce bags in both muslin and mesh. An awesome set – and at time of writing, it was $15 off! Hooray bargaineers!
Shopping should be fun! Yes, that even includes grocery shopping. But, for those of us trying to reduce our footprint on the planet, it also means making wise choices of how to carry our food purchases. Instead of automatically relying on plastic bags, choose to carry jute, cotton, mesh or muslin bags instead. When stocking up on produce, our choices for eco-friendly produce bags make it a breeze to shop! Your health and the planet will both thank you.
Okay, so once again we’re on the topic of COFFEE. Ahem. Lately we’ve discussed cheap coffees at McDonald’s , the changing Starbucks reward program, and even one of my favourite gadgets to make homemade lattes. But, as attested to by all those long line-ups at Tim Horton’s and Starbucks, well, I don’t think I’m alone in my adoration of coffee.
So, today’s deal should thrill you if you’d rather make your own delicious cup of coffee at home. (A very good way to save money over time, undoubtedly. Depending on where you go for a cup of coffee out, it can cost anywhere from $1 to $5 or more!)
Click on photo for more information or to order from Amazon.
Right now on Amazon, a lovely large 925 gram tin of Maxwell House original roast is only $6.97! Their regular price really varies, but is listed right now at $9.97 so this is a 30% Savings! Definitely the right time to buy a few tins of delicious ground coffee.
Delicious, 100% Natural Lip Balm
I am the first to admit that I’m a LIP BALM JUNKIE. There, got that out of my system. The first clue is that I have a tube or two of the wonderful lip conditioning stuff just about everywhere – in a pocket, in my purse, nestled on top of a storage container in my kitchen. I mean EVERYWHERE. (It probably doesn’t help that I live in Calgary, which is super dry. You need all the lotion and lip balm you can get living in a dry climate!)
But, I also like nice lip balm. The natural kind, with good-for-you ingredients and real essential oils. Those can get pretty pricey. So, I’m thrilled that my new lip balm favourite is only $1.99 regular price on Amazon! It’s an easy way to stock up on quality lip balm, without breaking the bank.
Under $2 for a great lip balm? Sign me up!
Click on photo for more information or to order
Lip Balm List of Ingredients
This Whole Foods Organic peppermint lip balm is really soothing on even very dry lips. And the natural peppermint oil (my favourite flavour of lip balm!) leaves a bit of a tingling sensation on your lips, kind of cooling them down.
The balm has these ingredients: Organic coconut oil, organic beeswax, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic shea butter, organic peppermint essential oil, organic cocoa butter, organic hemp seed oil, and Vitamin E. Not bad, huh?
My Review of Whole Foods Organic Peppermint lip balm
I give this lip balm a 5/5! The price is very reasonable, the quality is wonderful, and it really WORKS. Try a tube or two the next time you place an Amazon order, or get a few for little gifts for friends. You (and they) will love this stuff.
Simply click on the photo to go to the ordering page
Now, I know that everyone is trying drastically to reduce their plastic consumption. I am, too. But, for our emergency kit I always keep packs of water on hand – just in case. Otherwise, I carry a handy dandy battered old refillable water bottle.
But this deal of 24 bottles of Nestle Pure life spring water at only $2.47 (and I believe that includes deposit) is a STEAL OF A DEAL. Great for stocking up on. Regular price on Amazon is $6.99 so this is 65% OFF NORMAL PRICE!
In the hunt for the lowest prices, many of us choose to shop at Amazon online or Walmart in our town or city. Before you next head out to shop, though, it’ll be helpful to know who really does have the lowest prices. With this in mind, we ask: “Does Amazon price match?”
To discover if Amazon price matches Walmart, we’ll compare 5 totally different products. Then, we’ll make our entirely unscientific – but hopefully helpful – verdict! All of the prices listed are current as of time of writing.
As always – clicking on a photo will take you directly to the product page for more information. If you make a purchase, I make a small commission without your being charged a penny more! Thanks all. 🙂
Starbucks coffee 24-count K-cups (Dark French Roast)
Price at Walmart: $19.97 Price at Amazon: $19.97 PRICE MATCH!
Boy, has this blog been coffee-centric lately! And no, I won’t apologize for that (as I sip on a homemade latte, and think longingly of making another.) So, first up is a bulk pack of 24 K-cups for your Keurig coffee maker. Want a delicious Starbucks coffee without leaving home? Voila! And yes, the prices are exactly the same – to the penny! Who has the better price on K-cups? It’s a tie.
Brita Mini Plus Water filter pitcher
Price at Walmart: $22.47 Price at Amazon: $22.47 PRICE MATCH!
Hmmm, are you sensing a trend here like I am? Yes, again – to the penny – the price at Amazon.ca is exactly the same as Walmart’s flyer price. This handy 6-cup pitcher is pretty cute in a shade of oceanic turquoise, and comes with one filter to get you started. The better price on Brita? It’s once more a tie!
Ninja 72 oz. Professional Blender
Price at Walmart: $88.00 (Markdown from $108.00) Price at Amazon: $198.22!! WALMART WINS BIG!
Okay, so in an attempt to see beyond price matching with flyer items, I wanted to check out another product – one not featured on this week’s Walmart flyer. Instead, I just searched for this product on Walmart’s website. This super heavy-duty Ninja blender has very high ratings, but we want to know who has the best price. At less than half the price, Walmart kills this price comparison! So, maybe we’re starting to see a trend – that it truly is flyer specials that Amazon price matches.
Pampers Pure Protection diapers – 4 month size – 52 count
Price at Walmart: $22.97 Price at Amazon: $27.99 — Walmart Wins!
These new, more natural Pampers diapers have different prices at our two mega retailers. Even though they are featured currently in Walmart’s Baby Book flyer, this is not price matched by Amazon. So, Walmart has the lower price on Pampers diapers, but let’s be fair. Sometimes a poor, exhausted new parent just wants to flop on the sofa and order some diapers online! We feel you, new parents, we feel you.
Tide Pods 72-count
Walmart price: $18.76 Amazon price: $18.76 — PRICE MATCH!
And there we have it – another price match product from Walmart’s current flyer! This mega pack of 72 Tide pods make laundry SO quick and easy, and almost effortless. Just pop in a pod! And yes, the price is exactly the same.
Our verdict: Does Amazon price match?
I think it’s fair to say that YES, Amazon does price match some of Walmart’s deals of the week in their flyer. But, it doesn’t appear that all prices are exactly the same – so make sure to check online before purchasing. And, if you’re planning an Amazon order – just do a quick check first on some of your favourite products to see if Amazon has lowered their price to match Walmart.
So, bargain hunters – the deals are out there! And we are determined to find them. I hope that this article helped you to make some wise shopping decisions, and keep a few extra nickels safely tucked away in your wallets.
Well, hello bargaineers! Thank you so much for dropping by. Today, we have the first in a series which we hope will become a popular feature around these here blog parts. And that is: our first showdown of price comparisons at Dollarama versus Amazon. Which one will win? You’ll just have to keep reading to find out.
Dollarama is a very popular Canadian dollar store chain that features products that are $4.00 and under. (We won’t even get started on how customers felt when their price point went up to that $4 point. No sir, we won’t even go there!)
Today’s trip was in a Calgary Dollarama location (the Midnapore location to be exact – which is especially helpful if you want to know where to find these goodies!), and here is what I found… Let the price showdown begin!
- Betty Crocker heavy duty burner liners – $1.50 for 6 – These handy liners do exactly what they claim – line the burners of your electric stove to make that icky job of cleaning around the burners a much easier job. On Amazon, a pack of 6 is $9.77. Now, I’m not saying the quality may be exactly the same, but the price WIN goes to Dollarama!
- Sunlight + Oxi Action dishwasher power pacs – $4.00 for pack of 20 (or $0.20 per dishwashing pac.) These handy little pacs make it a breeze to get your dishes sparkly clean right in the dishwasher. But, does Amazon have a better deal? On Amazon a pack of 95 is $14.47 – or only $0.15/pac. This time – win to Amazon!
- Purina DentaLife Chews dog treats – pack of 10 for $4.00 (or $0.40 each) – These dog treats by Purina help to reduce tartar buildup on your dogs’ teeth – a healthful snack, indeed. (Even if we ARE a little partial to cats…(link)) The specially shaped treat helps to really clean all surfaces. But, what about the price difference between Dollarama and Amazon? A quick search on Amazon revealed that – ta dah! – the price is IDENTICAL. Well, to be exact you’ll save a single (extinct) penny on a bag at Amazon. It’s a tie!
- Bodycology pure white gardenia OR Vanilla lotion – $3.00 for 12 oz. bottle – Umm, this one is sort of crazy! Maybe this lotion is no longer in production, and therefore in high demand? The same lotion is selling for as much as $50 on Amazon! Woohoo – maybe go get some and resell it! You’re welcome. BIG WIN to Dollarama!!
- Royal Chinet 16 square dinner plates $3.50 for 16 (about $0.22 each) – Sometimes you just need a paper plate – such as when the whole family and all your dozens of cousins (that rhymes!) come over for a BBQ. These little babies are made in Canada, are recyclable, biodegradable AND compostable. Check, check, check – we like an environmentally friendly paper plate. Okay, then, Amazon – what can you offer? In a large pack of 150 round plates for $26.15 – you’ll pay $0.17 each. So, a win for Amazon!
So, according to my limited mathematical skills – I think we ended up with a TIE! Wow, I didn’t see that one coming. Now, there are a few things to keep in mind. With Dollarama, you can just pop down to the store and pick up the products you need and well, Bob’s your uncle. Whereas on Amazon, you have to wait a while to receive your purchase – but, with Prime 2-day shipping, it is pretty ridiculously quick. And you don’t have to leave home to order, either! Yay for PJ pant shopping time.
You’ll likely have also noticed that you have to buy larger quantities at Amazon. That case is particularly true with our example of the paper plates – a purchase of 16 plates versus 150! So, if you use a lot of paper plates, saving on each one is a great deal. But, if you just DON’T NEED over 100 plates, then a jolly quick jaunt down to Dollarama will likely do you just fine. Oh, how I love taking a jolly quick jaunt there – okay, terrible English accent off. AND REMEMBER: prices at Amazon can change at a moment’s notice. So, prices quoted at Amazon were the prices current at the time of writing.
Okay, bargaineers – what has been YOUR greatest find at Dollarama lately? Which do you prefer – online shopping or local shopping? Please leave a comment so we can all benefit! I do hope this little experiment has helped you to stretch your shopping dollar just a bit further. Watch out for our next price showdown – coming soon!